Neveh Shalom was formed by the merger of two existing Conservative congregations in 1961. One of those original synagogues (Ahavai Shalom) was founded in 1869 and the other (Neveh Zedek) in 1895. We are the second oldest Jewish congregation in the Pacific Northwest and the oldest Conservative congregation on the West Coast. This history and longevity establishes for our membership a sense of respect for our traditions at the same time as we encourage new concepts and innovations.
The mission of the Congregation shall be: To maintain a Synagogue for the worship of God and the promulgation of the tenets, beliefs, and doctrines of Conservative Judaism; to maintain a Religious School to educate Jewish youth about Judaism and the history and culture of the Jewish people; to maintain cemeteries for the burying and interment of the dead; and to engage in such additional religious, educational, social, recreational, and related activities as will strengthen, maintain, and perpetuate Judaism.